Friday, December 5, 2008

Searching for Polly Pagan

LANGUAGE WARNING: I swear a bit in this one! :P


There is an article on Witchvox at the moment, about Polly Pagans. It makes for an interesting read.

Prudent Pagan, Silent Pagan? Looking for Polly


While I don't agree with every single thing she says (and I am assuming the writer is a she) a lot of it resonated with me. I am for live and let live and all that guff, and I really don't give a monkey's arse if you think you are Otherkin, a hereditory Witch, or self-initated Wiccan. As long as you are aware that not everyone is going to agree with you, and they have every right not to. But I do wish more "normal" pagans were around. The ones that don't shove their 12 inch pentacles in your face, or going around being "all alternative".

The thing is, I know lots of proper alternatives out there, and they don't scream and shout about it all the fucking time. No-one cares how speshul you are, and Emo gets a bit tired once you are past the age of 17! (Yes, I am a bitch. Had you not noticed?) And as for the bleeding "love and light"ers, if I am honest, I just want to slap them. I am all for fluffy, but it needs to be with a big dose of reality as well.

Us average boring pagans, the ones with kids that aren't called Taliesen or Sapphire Moonlight or are Indigo/Rainbow/Crystal children, the ones that realise that boundaries and children are important, the ones who aren't casting spells left, right and centre, the ones that actually realise that you don't have to invoke the Goddess for every single bleeding issue. The ones that have a spirituality that doesn't smack you in the face when you meet them. Well, there aren't that many of them around. Not publically anyway. Not enough that you can meet them at moots, and not have to put up with wannabe Gurus and HPs'.

Where are the people who aren't headcases? The ones that you can have a conversation with about magick and not think you are nuts, but also you can just go out for a coffee with too? I know that sounds really really snobby of me, and perhaps it is. But there is part of me that knows if these people are the only ones that Joe Bloggs public ever come across, we are never gonna lose the tags of Freaks and Weirdos.

I am all for the strange. But let's make it have something to do with the music we listen to, the art we like, all about our hobbies and lifestyles. Not about our faith and spirituality. It makes us look like prats.

No comments:

Post a Comment