Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Feminism for all?

Feminism For All?

There is an argument that Feminism is only for white, middle-class, university educated young women. That only those with money and education can have the capacity to question the status quo of patriarchy. That Feminism is some kind of hobby or pastime for women who have nothing better to do, and who don’t live in the real world and have to deal with what “normal” women deal with.

Undoubtedly, many women come to Feminism via a university education, especially when faced with the delightful subject of sexual, textual politics, but I feel that this misses a much bigger issue. Feminism deals with so many important aspects of what is wrong with today’s society, and in particular these issues that impact the lives of all women. Poverty, Education, Health, to name only a few, are important and relevant concerns for all women, but are young, white, middle-class, graduate women the only ones discussing them? If they are the only ones discussing them, then why isn’t everyone?

I also take issue with the presumption that Feminists now are young, middle-class, white graduates. At 35, I don’t consider myself to be that old, but I am not that young either. I am certainly not middle-class, growing up in Edmonton, North London. My parents were working class, and although now my mother is in a professional job (teaching), it was through hard work and perseverance, not privilege. I did go to university though, but so did most of my non middle-class peers from my comprehensive school. And in case you are wondering, I am not officially white, since my paternal Grandfather came from Bangladesh.

This presumption that you can put all Feminists into the same bracket is at best limiting, and at worst, playing into the patriarchal tactic of dismissing something as unimportant because they are all the same.

Let me ask some questions;
· Do you think that single mothers are not the reason for all society’s ills?
· Do you think that women have rights over their own bodies?
· Do you think that everyone deserves the best education, healthcare and opportunities?
· Do you think that everyone has the right to walk down the street without fear of attack?
· Do you think that everyone has the right to love as they wish?

If you answer yes to those questions, then you are a Feminist. It is that simple. Feminism isn’t about subjugating men in some kind of matriarchal revenge. It is about the sexual and political equality and recognition of all people and their rights.

It worries me a great deal that Feminism has become disjointed and something to be sneered at. If a woman says they are a Feminist, then they are looked at as something a bit odd. There are people that say that Feminism isn’t necessary anymore, that women are equal, the fight has already been won. (!) There are those that say Feminism is all about man hating. I personally feel that these people are completely missing the big picture.

How do we get Feminism back into mainstream life as something relevant to all people? How do we teach the next generations of women AND men that Feminism isn’t gender specific and that patriarchy hurts us all? These are questions I ask myself, and will continue to do so.

TBC probably

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post MD, I share your view and I, too, get odd looks if I describe myself as a Feminist.....but to me its all about being done to as you do to others...we are all equal, but different!

    ReplyDelete