Sunday, February 8, 2009

Butterflies flapping.



The Butterfly Effect
(gacked from wikipedia)
The phrase refers to the idea that a butterfly's wings might create tiny changes in the atmosphere that may ultimately alter the path of a tornado or delay, accelerate or even prevent the occurrence of a tornado in a certain location. The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale alterations of events. Had the butterfly not flapped its wings, the trajectory of the system might have been vastly different. While the butterfly does not cause the tornado, the flap of its wings is an essential part of the initial conditions resulting in a tornado.

I learnt something new today. I hadn't realised that this was a concept from Chaos Theory. I had always thought it was some ancient ye olde proverb. It is interesting to look at. It makes a lot more sense when you actually read what it is rather than the version most people try and make of it. It isn't the flapping in itself that makes the change, it's the flapping at the right place at the right time. However, the chaotic part is that you can never really tell when and where the right place is. So should we just be flapping anyway?

Most pagans see Butterflies symbolising joy, freedom, living in the moment, transformation, the birth-death-rebirth circle, mental powers, reincarnation, magick, divination concerning the life cycle, understanding where you are in the cycle of your life, inspiration, immortality, leisure, beauty in old age, longevity, love, happiness, falseness, vanity and the soul. They are connected to the element of Air and Xochiquetzal.

So what am I yapping about? I am not completely sure. Perhaps it is the chaotic nature of not knowing why, when or where that is the important factor here. We don't know why, when, how, where, or even if our actions have any real impact on the world. Yes, there are times when we can see a result, but that isn't necessarily the only result that occurs.

The reason why I am thinking about this stuff is I want to make my spiritual life more meaningful and productive. I do feel I have been lacking somewhat in certain areas and I am unwilling to put up with the status quo anymore.

Things are going to change. Not sure how, when, where, but I do know the why.

No comments:

Post a Comment